Sometimes it's easy to forget how nice it is to have clean windows until you get them done, and bam! Your house looks lighter, brighter and happier.
While some people wrestle with the question 'how often should I get my windows cleaned?', (and many just assume it's for only when you move house) the answer is surprisingly simple: get your windows cleaned when you're tired of looking at dirty windows!
But, of course, it's not actually that simple. When people ask 'how often should I get my windows cleaned?', what they're really asking is 'when should I get my windows cleaned so that they stay clean the longest?'
It makes sense. Window cleaning is hard work! As passionate as we are about squeaky-clean windows, we’re happy to admit that it can be a back-breaking task to ensure a superior clean. Professional window cleaning has a lot more to it than just spray, wipe, repeat.
So, whether it's for the interior or exterior of your home, or whether it's a house or an apartment, we get that window cleaning isn't something you're going to have done every day.
However, as a general rule of thumb, getting your windows cleaned approximately every three months will guarantee you a beautifully clean and clear view.
Of course, it all depends on your reasons for window cleaning as well as the frequency, but the main factor to consider when deciding when you should have your windows cleaned is the weather.
Window cleaning throughout the seasons
One of the biggest misconceptions about window cleaning is that it only makes sense to do it in the sunny months. This is not true! The only time we would recommend avoiding getting your windows cleaned is in the midst of a big storm with violent rain and howling winds. And we would also recommend that you invite us around to clean your windows as soon as it's over.
There are pros and cons to getting your windows cleaned in every single season.
- Spring: Traditionally, spring is the most popular time to get your windows cleaned. They don't call it 'spring cleaning' for nothing! The weather is pleasant overall; however, pollen can accumulate on exterior glass windows and make them look dirtier quicker.
- Summer: A surprisingly great time to get your windows cleaned due to the fast drying time and reduced chance of rain, summer is only poor timing for the person sweating up the ladder! Luckily, we're pretty tough at Bax Windows. We're pretty busy during summer, so ensure you book in advance to avoid disappointment!
- Autumn: Unless it's an unusually rainy couple of months, autumn is an ideal time to have your windows cleaned. The temperature isn't too hot, so there's less chance of cleaning products drying up and leaving residue on your windowpanes, and you can even get your gutters cleaned at the same time.
- Winter: It's an unexpectedly good idea to get your windows cleaned in winter, despite the fact that it's the rainiest season - clean rain doesn't actually put much dirt back on your windows. It's only dirty rain that you need to worry about... and dirty rain is typically wind-driven rain that follows a long dry spell in summer. You'll be pleasantly surprised if you get your windows cleaned during winter how long they stay clean - plus, you'll enjoy more light at a time when the days are shorter and darker.
No matter which month you choose to get your windows cleaned, we strongly recommend treating them as the significant investment that they are, and getting them professionally cleaned at least twice a year. Clean windows are like the frosting on a cupcake - a well-maintained house won't ever look as good with dirty windows.
Here are a few more handy tips and recommendations:
- Ask your window cleaner to pay attention to the window trim, and always keep the trim and windowsills free of mould and mildew in between window cleanings.
- If you have double-pane windows that need to be disassembled and cleaned individually, the warmer months will be the best time of year to clean that type of window because of the increased drying speed.
- Dirty window screens can become weak and susceptible to damage. Replacing your screens is a quick and easy fix, but you can also ask us to clean and maintain your screens for you to handle the problem more economically.
- The dirt and grime on exterior windows can become more entrenched and difficult to remove than the dirt on interior windows, so make sure you don't neglect window cleaning to prolong their lifespan and make the task less costly over time.
A quality window cleaning is great value for money and a long-term investment in your home. When you think about it, windows are constantly exposed to a variety of contaminants that lead them to become filthy, stained, and even ruined. From hard minerals, dirt and pollutants that accumulate over time to everyday bird droppings from the rogue neighbourhood pigeon, windows take a battering every single day.
Your choice is crystal clear. At Bax Windows, we provide quality window cleaning services seven days a week, and know how to get your windows looking spotless every time.
We are fully insured and accredited, and most importantly, we understand that you want to get the most bang for your buck when it comes to window cleaning. We'll work around you, we'll arm you with insider's tips and techniques to maintain your window's shine between cleans, and we'll prevent future problems with mould and mildew.